BaliNewsid

M7.7 Earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara Kills 38, More Than 2,000 Displaced

M7.7 Earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara Kills 38, More Than 2,000 Displaced

BALINEWSID.COM, JAKARTA — A magnitude 7.7 earthquake that struck East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) on Saturday (August 15, 2026) has killed 38 people and forced more than 2,000 residents to evacuate independently, according to the latest data from the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB).

The earthquake struck at 4:58:24 a.m. WIB (Western Indonesia Time). BNPB Head Suharyanto said the figures were recorded as of 3 p.m. WIB on Saturday.

“As of 3 p.m. this afternoon, 38 people have been confirmed dead. Two people suffered serious injuries and 11 sustained minor injuries. Meanwhile, approximately 2,000 people have evacuated independently,” Suharyanto said at a press conference on Saturday.

The earthquake also caused damage to infrastructure and buildings in several affected areas. BNPB reported that several road sections were blocked by landslides.

“Detailed data will later be provided by the Ministry of Public Works,” Suharyanto said.

Dozens of houses were also reported damaged, ranging from minor to moderate and severe damage. Authorities are continuing to assess the extent of the destruction, and the number of damaged buildings is expected to increase as the assessment progresses.

According to data from the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency (BMKG), 31 aftershocks had been recorded as of 3 p.m. WIB.

At least four of the aftershocks were considered significant because of their relatively high magnitudes.

The first significant aftershock had a magnitude of 6.2 and occurred at around 5:13 a.m. WIB at a depth of 10 kilometers offshore.

Another M5.5 earthquake was recorded at 5:13:53 a.m. WIB at coordinates 8.14 degrees South Latitude and 120.11 degrees East Longitude. The earthquake also occurred at a depth of 10 kilometers offshore.

See also  SJB Urges Denpasar Court to Reject Rp25 Billion Lawsuit Against Four Media Companies

The third significant aftershock, measuring M6.2, struck at around 5:28 a.m. WIB at a depth of 10 kilometers.

The fourth significant aftershock, measuring M5.6, occurred at approximately 5:37 a.m. WIB.

The earthquake also damaged several health facilities. Suharyanto said Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin had reported damage to a number of community health centers, known as puskesmas.

One hospital in Maumere was also reported to have been affected by the earthquake.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Transportation reported that five airports were affected. However, the damage was not to the runways but to terminal buildings.

“According to the Ministry of Transportation, five airports were affected. But the runways were not damaged. The damage occurred to the terminal buildings,” Suharyanto said.

The government is continuing to assess the extent of damage to buildings and public facilities, including residential homes, health facilities and airport terminals.

With the death toll reaching 38 and more than 2,000 residents evacuating independently, emergency response and recovery efforts following the M7.7 earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara remain ongoing.

Viewed 10 times

Related Posts

BALINEWSID.COM, DENPASAR — Chairman of the Bali Democratic Party Regional Executive Board (DPD) Made Mudarta has...

BALINEWSID.COM, ATAMBUA — The Atambua Class II Immigration Office has taken administrative immigration action by detaining...

BALINEWSID.COM, DENPASAR — Tutik Kusuma Wardhani, a member of Commission IX of the Indonesian House of...

BALINEWSID.COM, DENPASAR — The Bali Provincial Democratic Party continued its “Blue Sky, Beautiful Indonesia” environmental campaign...

BALINEWSID.COM, DENPASAR — Concern for victims of the earthquake in Flores, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), continues...

Discussion (0)

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Popular Posts